What is a sports bandage?
To prevent sports injuries, emergency treatment, rehabilitation of sports injuries, prevention and recurrence of sports injuries for the purpose of using bandages so that the body does not exceed the normal range of movement to achieve the protection of the body (mainly joints, muscles, tendons) bandaging technology.
Reasons for using bandages?
Provides fixation and compression strength that fits the skeletal body shape (there’s a bespoke feel to it)
- It can fix joints and muscles more effectively (the effect can last 3-4 hours).
- The bandage is close to the skin, can correspond to the movements of the joints and muscles, and is not easy to fall off.
- Good ultra-thinness and fit feelings are very important protective tools for competitive sports.
- The types of bandages and bandage methods are easy to grasp.
What is the use of sports bandages?
- Prevention of sports injuries
With the purpose of preventing sports injuries, the joints and muscles are protected and strengthened. It is one of the means of effective protection for ankles, wrists, fingers, and other parts that are prone to injury.
- Emergency treatment of sports injuries
Use a sports bandage to compress and fix the injured part.
- Prevent re-injury
It is easy to re-injure the part that was once injured. In order not to worsen the injured part and reduce the burden of the injured part, use sports bandages.
Effect of sports bandage
- Limit the range of motion.
- It can reduce pain.
- It can increase the compression force in each part according to the need.
- Artificial ligaments, artificial tendons.
- Reduce the mental stress of the athletes.
Sports bandage bandaging method
- Loop wrapping method
This sports bandage wrapping method is used for smaller or cylindrical parts of the limb, such as hands, feet, wrists, and heads, and is also used for a variety of wrapping starts. Bandage volume up, held in the right hand, the bandage will be unfolded about 8cm, the left thumb will be fixed at the head end of the bandage to be wrapped parts, the right hand continuous circular wrapping local, the number of volumes as needed, with the twisted cloth fixed bandage end.
- Spiral wrapping method
For the circumference of approximately equal parts, such as the upper arm, fingers, etc. Start from the distal end of the first two volumes of circular bandage, and then to the proximal end of a 30 ° angle spiral winding, each volume overlaps the previous volume 2 / 3, the end of the tape fixed.
- Spiral reflexive wrapping method
This sports bandage wrap method for the circumference of unequal parts, such as forearms, calves, thighs, etc., the beginning of the first two weeks of circular wrap, and then do spiral wrap, and then with one hand thumb press the top of the tape right in the middle, the other hand will roll the tape from the point reflex down, cover the front circumference of 1/3 or 2/3. Each reflex must be neatly arranged into a straight line, but each reflex should not be in the wound and bone protrusion.
- “8” shaped bandage method
It is used to dress and fix the clavicle fracture in the shoulder, elbow, wrist, ankle, and other joints. Take the elbow joint as an example, first in the middle of the joint circular bandage 2 volumes, the bandage first around to the top of the joint, then through the flexion side around to the bottom of the joint, over the dorsal side of the limb around to the flexion side of the limb and then around to the top of the joint, and so on, “8” continuous in the upper and lower joint bandage, each volume and the previous volume overlap 2/3, and finally in the joint above circular bandage 2 volumes The tape is fixed.
- Reverse bandage method
Used for the top of the head, finger ends and limb stumps, for a series of left and right or front and back reverse bandages, the bandaged parts are all covered, and then for two weeks of circular bandage.
Rules for the implementation of sports bandages
- The injured person’s body position should be appropriate.
- The affected limb is placed in an adaptive position so that the patient can keep the limb comfortable during the dressing process and reduce the pain of the patient.
- The affected limb must be wrapped in a functional position.
- The wrapper usually stands in front of the patient, in order to observe the patient’s facial expression.
- Generally, the use of the sports bandage wrap method should be from the inside out, and from the distal end to the trunk wrap. At the beginning of the wrap, two circular wraps shall be made to fix the bandage.
- When wrapping to grasp the bandage volume, to avoid falling. Bandage volume must be flat against the bandaged site.
- When wrapping the weekly pressure to be equal, and not too light, so as not to fall off. Not too tight, so as not to occur circulation disorders.
- Except for patients with acute bleeding, open trauma, or fracture, the area must be clean and dry before bandaging.
- Rings, gold bracelets and watches, and necklaces should be removed before bandaging.
Sports bandage precautions
- Before bandaging
Consult a doctor after an injury, avoid swollen parts, and clean the bandage area (sweat, spoiled, body hair).
- Wrapping in
Do not hinder the skills of nerves and blood vessels, keep a certain range of movement of joints, and do not appear wrinkles, bubbles, or gaps.
- After bandaging
If the skin color changes, allergies, and other symptoms are immediately removed, immediately after exercise.